Saturday 11 April 2009

My imaginary table at Waterstones

Yesterday I talked about the table at Waterstone's that Nick Hornby did in March. I asked what books you would fill a table with - books you think others might enjoy reading, that you can recommend.

Here's my list of books I would put on my imaginary table:




A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle










Moon Called - Patricia Briggs









Persuasion - Jane Austen










The Language of the Night - Ursula K. Le Guin




Bellwether - Connie Willis








The Complete Pollysyllabic Spree - Nick Hornby





A History of Reading - Alberto Manguel












Black and Blue - Ian Rankin











The Bone Doll's Twin - Lynn Flewelling




The Terror - Dan Simmons










If You Want to Write - Brenda Ueland






Lonely Werewolf Girl - Martin Millar










Mistress of the Art of Death - Ariana Franklin




The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale










Selected Poems of Mary Oliver, vols 1 and 2

















Beauty - Robin McKinley





Sorcery and Cecelia, or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot - Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer









Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb













The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde






One For the Money - Janet Evanovich




Writing Down the Bones - Natalie Goldberg








Animal-Speak - Ted Andrews









Middlemarch - George Eliot















Forty Words for Sorrow - Giles Blunt



The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien








Dreams Underfoot - Charles de Lint












Side-Tracked - Henning Mankell






Coraline - Neil Gaiman







In the Garden of Iden - Kage Baker



Fatherland - Robert Harris









Spiritual Tarot - Signet E Echols, Robert Mueller, and Sandra A. Thomson





**bonus: Medicine Cards by Jamie Sams - the best cards for working with animals, ever.










So......could I tempt you in to coming by my table? Could I talk you into trying a book or two?

13 comments:

Memory said...

I like the look of your table, and I love the idea of a blog post detailing it! I may have to steal the idea. :)

Debi said...

Oh yes, you could definitely tempt me...I see a few I'd definitely buy! More if I hadn't already bought them. ;)

Susan said...

Memory: sure, go ahead, I'll come visit your table and see what I'd like to buy! lol

Debi: good, very good *rubs hands* now if only I had a table! lol

Bybee said...

You've got several favorites of mine on your table...Goldberg, A History of Reading, Middlemarch and *sigh* Nick...

I'd put some David Liss novels out and for nonfiction, Tracy Kidder. Several from the Pulitzer pile, including the latest one, "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao".

Susan said...

Bybee: I still have to read A Brief wondrous Life! Last time I checked, I was #73 on the list, I'd moved up almost 10 places! And I'm reading Possession at the moment, that might creep on too. You'll have to do a table up for me come browse at! lol

Kailana said...

Okay, it's official, you are my book twin! I could easily make almost the exact same table! If books you have wouldn't be on mine, it would be because I haven't read them yet!

Books I agree with:
A Wrinkle in Time
Moon Called
Mistress of the Art of Death
Beauty
The Eyre Affair
The Lord of the Rings
Coraline

So, now I think I should just add all the other books to my list because I will probably like them! (Well, I have read Sorcery and Cecelia and didn't like it. Plus, I am reading Robin Hobb, but totally not in order! And, I read The Library by Night by Alberto Manguel and thought it was great! I started The Terror and got distracted and I had to bring Lonely Werewolf Girl back to the library unfinished because someone wanted it! Must get it back!)

Ana S. said...

I love your table, Susan! Lots of books I love, lots I want to read.

Susan said...

Hi Kailana: Hi, book twin :-D! I really enjoyed you listing what you approved of and what you hadnt' read yet....oh, please do get Lonely Werewolf Girl back to read! I just lent it and Moon-Called to my niece....and if you haven't read The Bone Doll's Twin, you have to, it's scary and fantastic and fabulous fantasy. Really really good. so, at least I'd have one buyer at my table! lol! and if you get in the mood for The Terror, there is nothing quite like it out there. and if we only really disagree on one book, we really would be book-sisters!

Nymeth: so what would be on YOUR table, dear friend? I'm very curious :-D you know I'd come and browse and come away with everything I hadn't read yet, like Kailana above for me! :-D

Robin said...

Oh, you've definitely tempted me! There are some terrific books on your table!

Gavin said...

What I great idea! You include lots of my favorites.

Susan said...

Robin: thanks! which ones did you like too?

Gavin: It is a fun idea, isn't it? and it's fun that books I love, others have read and loved too :-D I'll have to try and put books on my next table that no one else has read, though! lol

Anonymous said...

A great selection of books! It's great to find another Ted Andrews fan out there. The Medicine Cards are great too, I have the mini pack which I use for inspiration sometimes.

Susan said...

Rhinoa: I didn't know they made mini cards of them! I have to say, my children love them - when they get old enough, they are allowed to find out their 7 animals (my nieces did this recently). And I just bought Ted Andrews book on trees and flowers - his new book, which I am really enjoying. It is fun to meet another fan of him you're right!