Tuesday 4 December 2007

What do you think is cool?

It must be nearing the end of the year, all these lists (memes) are coming out....Stephanie over at http://stephaniesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/11/stephen-king-is-cool.html Stephanie's books had a blog in mid-November that I missed, but just caught up on: Stephen King is cool. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20159025,00.html His Cool and the Gang article in EW inspired Stephanie to write about what she thought was cool, and so I am passing on the question to you, Dear Reader, as we dig out from our snowstorm (25 cm of snow!) of yesterday: what do you think is cool?
Well, for me, it's books. Reading is cool. Carrying a book and reading on the bus, waiting for the bus, at lunch, waiting in line, while eating.......I think a button should be made saying this: Reading is cool.
But, going to libraries is not. I love libraries, but it's not cool to be there, though it is cool to run into people and the love of your life there!
What else is cool? Neil Gaiman is cool. Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiassen, Janet Evanovich - yikes, those two guys fighting over her are so gorgeous! Even if she destroys a car in almost every book, she's so not cool that the books are cool! Thursday Next is cool. I agree with Stephen, Battlestar Galactica was cool.....still waiting for the new season to start for it. Pushing Daisies almost has it. And the new Dr Who, cool for sci-fiction..... and And I refuse to watch the Sopranos on principle since it glorified crime and killing as a way of life - not cool (I don't care if the gangster began to feel guilty! that's lame!) but the Godfather movies one and two are ALWAYS cool........Leonardo di Caprio is among the coolest of the younger actors. And Buffy the Vampire Slayer!! that was one show that had it, in spades.
I'm the first to admit I have never been a 'cool' person, so I won't bother with cool things I own...but I have to say I think Nick Drake (musician) is cool. So was REM in their heyday. Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson, for making cooking fresh, oh so good and sexy, are cool. Or rather, so hot they are cool!
In keeping with the season, I think white lights on trees outside are cool (for Christmas), and freshly-fallen snow is so beautiful it is cool, and the seasons changing is cool. And I think Stephen King is right, Obama has cool and Hillary Clinton does not. Saying "I love you" is cool, and so is "Merry Christmas"! - since we are not allowed to say Merry Christmas any more in case anyone gets offended here in Canada, I make a point of saying it because not saying it is so stupid and meaningless! Christmas is cool (despite the shopping frenzy), gathering and celebrating is food for the heart and soul, and is eternally 'cool'.
Happy being cool reading!!!

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Quite the list of "cool"! I like white xmas lights; but also the different scheme of coloured lights. Makes our place right cheery. Walmart in Alberta was told not to say "Merry Christmas" 2 years ago and people were SO upset that they reversed their policy. I say Merry Christmas. It is my tradition in my country and I respect the right of others to wish me their favourite celebration and practise it. I get furious when some lamebrame in government decides that we cannot risk offending anyone. It's a free country; if our traditions offend you so much, move somewhere else. Otherwise accept us as gracefully as we accept you!!!!

Geez...to read.... haven't done much of that lately.

The other side of the road looked like it got about 10 cm of snow. I don't know what happened in the space of 10 feet, because I spent many hours digging OUR driveway out!! Snow is NOT cool!!