Friday 13 March 2009

Read Your Own Books Challenge 2009


There I was, thinking this was a year to not join so many challenges, because what I really wanted to do was to plow through these:
SUSAN'S TBR SHELF

Then we were the lucky recipients from my best friend, who was moving into a smaller apartment and her book shelf didn't fit, so we got it (thank you, best friend!). I was able to organize my TBR books into this:
SUSAN'S NEW TBR BOOKSHELVES
although much neater, the same number of books are still there: 120, give or take. Oops, the bookstore just called. She said 'tell Susan her books came in." That's 3 more...... and they are lined up so nicely, just here beside the computer desk. I can reach right over and see all the titles. The bad news is, of course, the same amount of books + 3 are still waiting to be read!! I thought, alas, I will not be joining very many challenges this year so I can read some of these books.

Then, ah, then. I went to Staci at Life in the Thumb's blog, a new-to-me blogger, and saw this irresistible challenge button (it's pink! one of my favourite colours!) and look! It's about books I already own! Well. That was it. Sign me right up! I can pick the amount I want, and read new ones I buy through the year. *sigh* this is a match made in heaven, at least to help get through the TBR Mountain that is my new bookshelf unit. They are all lovely, lovely wonderful books I want to be reading now! That's why I bought them. The link to the challenge is here. The unmatcheable Miz B is hosting (she did last year's TBR challenge, which I didn't complete but read over half of my wanted-to-read-then list). These are the rules:

RYOB 2009

readown3The rules for this challenge are very simple…

* set a goal for how many of your OWN books you’d like to read in 2009

* read from your own collection between January 1st and December 31st, 2009

And, that’s basically it! You don’t have to create a list beforehand (’cause we all know that our reading preferences change as the year progresses), and you can even read books that come into your possession (that will be yours to keep) during the year!"

I will be reading at least 50 of the books I own this year. So that's my goal, and I will keep a list of books I read that I own, starting from March 1 (which is only fair, since I just saw this challenge).

It's Friday. It's Friday!!!

And thank you to those readers who wrote in to my post yesterday saying that they do read poetry. One lucky writer had her husband and son get to see Mary Oliver live (Debi, I'm looking at you!). Now that would be a very special event. This blog is about the books I love, and I am delighted that even in poetry, there are some of you who share my delight and love for it.

Now I have to steel myself for the second-to-last ever Battlestar Galactica episode tonight. I might as well get the kleenex out. Next week I'm just going to cry through the whole thing. It's hard to say goodbye, even though I will finally find out how the show ends.

Happy reading, my Gentle Readers!



23 comments:

Eva said...

I might have to sign up for this one too, since my TBR shelf is about the same size as yours...and I keep reading library books instead!

Susan said...

Eva: LOL! I haven't even started on my library books i have out right now! It's awful, but at least I can renew them several times before they have to go back.

Kerry said...

This looks like the perfect challenge for you!

We're only allowed to renew library books once (and of course that's assuming there are no holds on them) so I'm a bit nervous about starting my next book, which is 740 pages long with small type.

Staci said...

I love your new book shelf and just looking at all of those books makes my heart race!! I'm glad you found that challenge on my blog. Now I need to get moving on it too!! I think I've only read 1 of my own books this year...sad, very, very sad!!

Daphne said...

Ooh, good idea! Although when we moved we got rid of FIVE GIGANTIC bookshelves full of books... heartbreaking!! So my list is actually a little more manageable at this point...

Bybee said...

Sigh....looove your new bookshelf!

I've been trying to be good an read my own books, but I still want more...

DesLily said...

oh my, i hope you have left room for Carl's Once Upon a Time challenge! That usually begins on the first day of spring!

DesLily said...

ohhh i am so happy when someone's tbr pile is bigger than mine!!!!

Susan said...

Hi Kerry: I think it's perfect too! We can renew three times. If I get desperate, I can even put library books on my children's library cards! lol what's your next library book that it's so long and small type? that is nerve wracking, isn't it, deciding if you can read it in that amount of time.

Staci: thank you! We love it too. My husband was most impressed that it fit against the wall, at first he was doubtful since we already had two big shelves of books and the tv there. But it fit and as you say, it looks lovely.

1 book of your own! lol at least you are getting good library books.

Miss D: how did you give away 5 big bookshelves? Oh, that must have been so hard and heartbreaking. I have been through that, so it also must have been an exciting move, but have you started rebuying some of the books you got rid of? And do you have enough shelves in your new space? *grins*

Bybee: a new bookshelf is always exciting, isn't it? and I don't blame you for reading your library books, since you just found a library with some English books! I'd be reading all of them too :-D just because I hadn't seen them before.

Susan said...

Deslily: Of course! I wouldn't miss any of Carl's challenges! I keep checking his site every day to see if there is news yet about OuT3 yet!!! lol In fact, I was just looking over all the fantasy books on my TBR shelves and debating with myself on how many I can actually read for the challenge. I have a lot I've bought and/or had on my shelves and haven't read yet.

I'm not sure, I might have one of the biggest TBR piles out there...I'm glad I make you feel better about yours! :-D

Jeane said...

I really need a new bookshelf for my TBR pile, too. It's getting overwhelming. I'm doing the TBR Challenge to try and get through some of mine!

Kerry said...

Susan - it's called "Lear's Daughters" by Marjorie B. Kellogg and is enviromental SF. It's a reprint omnibus edition of two books published in the '80s, which is why it's so big. I decided to slip in a quick read (I'm 3/4 though "The Diamond of Darkhold" by Jeanne duPrau) for a breather and then I'll start it. I'm looking forward to it, even thought it's big.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

My TBR is 3 shelves on the regular bookcase, plus a pile (OK, two piles!) on the floor in front of it.

You're very brave to separate all the TBRs into their own bookcase! I like mixing them in so they don't look so daunting :)

Dawn
She is Too Fond of Books

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I need this challenge! My goal was to read 40 of my own books this year (books that I've own for at least a year), which is normally no problem since I don't use the library or borrow, but it hasn't been working out as planned. You definitely have a lot of books to choose from for the challenge!! :) Have fun.

Susan said...

jeane: I did that challenge last year, and I did get some read, but not as many as I'd hoped. Of course not, or my shelves would be tiny bit lighter of TBR books! lol and the sad thing is, I know by the end of this year this new shelf will be packed -part of me keeps saying this is a good thing!! :-D

Kerry: I've heard of Marjorie Kellogg. I'll have to see what our library has. thanks for reminding me.

Dawn: I used to hide my TBR pile, then I'd forget i had them to read! This way when I panic that I have no books (because they were on the shelves with the ones I'd read) I can say, hmm, what would I like to read today? Of course, this doesn't prevent me from buying any new ones! lol It just looks a lot neater.

Trish: I know! I thought I would read more of my own, but it's nice to have a challenge for those years when finally I realize I have bought quite a lot that still have to be read! good luck with your challenge too :-D

Ana S. said...

I didn't join this one, but I did join the tbr challenge, which is very similar. I went for the "light" version, though, because I didn't want to put too much pressure on myself. Maybe I should have gone for more, though. Anyway, good luck, Susan!

Susan said...

Nymeth: I saw the TBR lite challenge on your site. I really considered it, and then this one came along, and I get to read books I already own, no specific type, and it's just what I need. I get to complete a challenge that's about reading for pure pleasure!!! :-D well, all challenges are supposed to be, but you know what happens when we join too many challenges. good luck with yours, too!

Debi said...

Oh my. Do I love this challenge? Yes. Do I hate this challenge? Yes. Love it for every reason you already so eloquently stated. Hate it because I'm already signed up for more challenges than any 20 people put together need. So, will I join you on this one? You bet.

Susan said...

Debi: LOL!!!! that was me last year. Somehow I'm still in 4 or 5 challenges (not counting Carl's which are ones I will do until he stops doing them) which is fun, but I don't have quite the same job of tracking them all this year as last. I'm so happy you're joining us! It would be fun if our TBR shelves were say, halved by the end of the year......of course, that would depend on us not buying any books, which isn't going to happen either!! lol so the best to hope for is new books on the TBR pile as we read the older ones!

Kailana said...

I wish my TBR pile was only 120 books! I could be getting it down very easily, but I am spending too much time at the library lately! Really have to remedy that!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I like the new bookshelves. It looks like such a large amount of to be read books...and is...but then I laugh at myself as I realize that I probably have a similar amount scattered through my own house!

Susan said...

Kailana: that's of books i want to read soon. that's not counting books lingering for years on my shelves, and the astrology and tarot books I have in other rooms!!!! that's just my immediate to be read pile....not the to be read at a later date pile...lol ....and oh gosh, my library list is long, too!!! It's amazing, isn't it?

Carl: I used to scatter them around, but then I could never find them to read! lol It does look better to point to a small pile (when trying to hide the fact of the other books that need to be read scattered everywhere) but sooner or later I want to see it all *rubs hands* all mine! mine!
and I would be surprised if any of actually don't have other piles of books scattered through the house!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Oh I love seeing other people's books. How lucky that you were able to get a free bookshelf!