Tuesday 19 February 2008

Why Ottawa is the snow Capital of the World

Some snow totals as of last night at midnight, for Ottawa, Canada's capital city, where I live:

-296 cm of snow has fallen so far, this winter. That is equivalent to 9 1/2 feet of snow.
- We only have 48 cm left on the ground, from our two recent thaws in February, one of which was Sunday night through yesterday.
-73 cm of snow has fallen so far in February.
And....we have had 18 days in February, out of 19, where some form of snow has fallen!!!!!

I just thought you, Gentle Reader, would like to know why I keep mentioning snow in my blogs......and this is for my sister Patricia in New Brunswick, who keeps complaining about shovelling out there also.

We are not at our all time record for snow, that stands another 130 cm more - close to a couple of metres of snow would have to fall, that was set in 1971 - but we are surpassing many other Ottawa records set for snowfall.

The only thing we can't complain about is the cold. We really have had only 3 or 4 days of real cold - below -10c for our high, which is just below 0 fahrenheit, I think - not like in the Prairies, where they have just endured a deep freeze for most of the month. I'd rather get the snow than the cold! I could just do with seeing the sun once in a while! I think I wore my sunglasses once, and only on two other days could I have, this winter!

My next blog will be back to books. I am making my way through The Canadian Settler's Handbook with great delight, but as I am back at work now, my bonus time while being sick and home is gone now. And I can't find a copy of Ulysses anywhere, for my February birthday reading, which surprises me. With two universities in this city, I thought copies would be plentiful, but so far , I can't find it in used or new bookstores. I have to decide quickly, I'm running out of time.

So, from cold and snowy Ottawa - we have some more colder days coming now - I bid you goodnight, and hope you have a good book to curl up with, too.

8 comments:

Patricia said...

Down with snow! Down with cloudy days! Today was sunny and I felt blinded after days of gray and overcast weather. Way too much snow and ice ~ I want to see some crocuses...daffodils...tulips!!

Susan said...

You had SUN!!! Lucky...we might see a glimpse tomorrow in between more 'flurries'......forget about seeing flowers until April! C'mon, sis! well, maybe you might...we sure won't here until then. I bought a flower - hyacinth - for the house. It is so GREEN! and alive! Now i want to buy more.....if only I could get Bandit away from them!!

Anonymous said...

At least we have sun still but our temperatures have also taken a turn for the worse. From last week's highs of 17c we've gone to (albeit lows) of -10c. Don't you just wish it would make up its mind?

Susan said...

Hi Ann - Yes, I wish the weather would make its mind up! and -10c for you is VERY cold, even at night! That was warmer than we were all day today,by the way :-)

Care said...

Wow - just reading thru your challenge list is exhausting. sorry to chg subject - but I do love snow! We're getting some in MA right now) Did you review Mrs Dalloway? Have you read Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier? just wondering...

Care said...

OH sorry - I'm not in blogspot... Hope it's OK to crash in and say hello! I've lurked here for awhile. :) www.bkclubcare.wordpress.com

Bybee said...

I guess it would be tactless of me to mention that February has been almost springlike here, with sunny days and slightly cool breezes. Nevermind. We've got monsoon season weeks and weeks of rain coming up later this year while you're enjoying sun and flowers!

Susan said...

Care - welcome, I'll go check out your site later - and just to catch up - MORE snow fell overnight, so my husband is back out shovelling today.
Bybee: I will feel very sorry for you during monsoon season! but can't help a teeeny tiny bit of jealousy that you have flowers and green and we have just had the coldest two nights of the year, and more snow.....everyone is counting down to the official arrival of spring here! 19 days to go!!!