Saturday 28 September 2013

new Jane Austen cookbook, and other cookbooks I want

I was just going through my facebook reader, and I discovered this lovely little article in the UK Telegraph, from last week.  "Dinner With Mr Darcy" is the name of a new cookbook coming out in October, featuring recipes from meals or food mentioned in Jane Austen's novels.                                          
The white soup recipe listed in this article is from this book.  It looks like an interesting book, and of course I want it.  Jane Austen recipes, recreated so we can make it!  I would LOVE to do a Georgian tea party one day, wouldn't you?  Look at this recipe for roast pork loin.  Mmm.  I'm getting hungry!

Speaking of cookbooks, another cookbook I have my eye on is this one:  Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking, by Anya Von Bremzen.  I was looking at it at the store tonight.

 It combines memoir and Soviet food through the decades of her family life in Russia.  Another book that looks fascinating.

I have long wanted A Cook's Year in a Welsh Farmhouse by Elisabeth Luard. 
                                                                                        

It is still in hardcover.  I wish it would come out in softcover, which are easier to open and use in the kitchen.  Cath at Read-Warbler gave this lovely review earlier this summer. A farmhouse out in the country side, eating seasonally, what more could one ask?  Except to be there, of course......

One last cookbook that I have been gazing at longingly in the book stores is this one:  Country Cooking of Ireland by Colman Andrews. 
                                      

It looks splendid and has so many recipes in it.  Plus a bit of Irish history.  Being part Welsh and Irish, I am interested in exploring more about the foods of my culture and ancestors.     This book is to drool over, literally and figuratively!!

So are there any cookbooks you are wanting to buy, dear reader? 
                                                                

12 comments:

Sue F. said...

I love looking through cookbooks, but alas, I find that when I buy them, I never actually use them! They are just lovely to look at!

Susan said...

LOL! I do read them, most of the time. And right through, too. One of my sisters was so surprised to hear that. Sometimes i have fun dreaming over the recipes, and marking what I'd like to make one day. Actually doing the cooking is another thing completely, though!

Aarti said...

The Jane Austen cookbook looks fantastic! I like this trend of cooking recipes that are mentioned in books - I love when authors focus on describing the food and clothing of their settings.

Cath said...

A Cook's Year was delightful... thanks for the link to my review, Susan.

The next cookbook I want is Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food. He's one of my favourite TV chefs and his new series accompanying the book has just started on TV.

I'd really like to read more Food Writing, tbh. But I'm short of recs and my library has a *lot* of cookbooks but not heaps of food writing books. I need to investigate further. Maybe look on Goodreads.

GeraniumCat said...

I enjoy them too, and my sons often give me one (or even two) for Christmas - and I do use them, though not as much as I ought to. Cath, have you read the various Diana Henry ones, which are blissful, and Tessa Kiros?

Susan said...

Aarti: I like this trend, too. It is fun to be able to recreate what the characters are eating - makes the history come alive, the sense of the times the story takes place. And for authors too - in Austen's case, her times she lived in. Or Dickens, or Shakespeare....

Cath: of course I would link it! you did a good review of a book I'm longing to read! lol

I haven't heard of Tom Kerridge or the pub food book, but it's now on my list :-) my husband loves pub food, and while we have good English themed pubs here, it's not like it is back home in many ways. I have an Irish pub food book, so I'll look for his now too. Thanks for the rec! What's the show like, does he visit different pubs, look at their menus, and show how a special (or dish they are known for) is made? would love to see it....

Ruth Reichl is a big food writer in the US, have you heard of her?

Geranium Cat: Which food books do you love? Can you recommend some? Of course you know now I'm going to go look to see who Diana Henry is and what she's written about! lol You have lovely sons for giving you those for Xmas :-)

Cath said...

Tom Kerridge does his own recipes from the pub he owns somewhere in Gloucestershire, Susan. But he does go off visiting, this week he was at a beach restaurant in Sennen Cove in Cornwall, cooking outside... a seafood burger I think it was. Was great to see a village I know on the TV.

Yes, I've read one book by Ruth Reichl and enjoyed it very much, but her books are not well known in the UK.

Thanks for the food writing recs, Geranium Cat, I've made a note of their names and will investigate this weekend.

Susan said...

Cath: thanks! I wish I could see his show. I'll look for his books here. Which of his do you have, and recommend?

That would be fun, to see the village you've been to, on tv, like that! For cooking, especially (and always with travel shows too!)Fun to pick out the spots that you have been to, when they do that, too. The seafood burger sounds interesting, I will go and see if there is anything about the show or the recipes on line. Thanks so much, Cath! I've missed talking with you this way, this year :-)

Cath said...

As far as I know Tom Kerridge only has this one book out so far. I don't own it as yet, I plan to put it on my Christmas list.

Did you hear that Nigel Slater has a new book out? It's called Eat and is also going on my Christmas list. I see from the cover that he grew a beard. Oh, my. LOL.

It's so nice to chat like this. :-)

Susan said...

Cath: I just saw that Nigel has a new book out. some of the recipes are over on Guardian Online, so I was checking them out. They look interesting! It will go on my Christmas list too, I have almost everything he wrote. I'm so glad you and I share him too! I was looking at the beard and not certain about it, either.

Am looking on Amazon right now for the Kerridge book ,for my husband. :-)

Susan said...

I just checked: Nigel Slater's book is out Oct 22 here, I've got it on my wish list for Xmas now. :-) And the Tom Kerridge book is available - but not new, only from Book Depository. I've bookmarked that on Amazon, it does look good!

Unknown said...

moncler, moncler, moncler, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, canada goose outlet, hollister, swarovski, moncler, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, pandora charms, karen millen, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, montre pas cher, toms shoes, supra shoes, coach outlet, moncler, canada goose, bottes ugg, replica watches, ugg pas cher, moncler outlet, ugg boots uk, wedding dresses, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, canada goose outlet, links of london, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, moncler