Thursday 2 May 2013

book buying after a challenge

  I joined the Double Dog Dare challenge in January, to see if I could do it - if I could read my own books, only, for 4 months.  With one exception during my surgery, I did it.  However, I thought you would be amused to see what I did as soon as the challenge was over.  I went book buying.  Not strictly on purpose, it  just kind of happened.  Here is what I brought into my house in the month of April.  The first lot are from a senior's community center book sale:
 The second group are new books I bought just because I could (first pile), and the second  was with my Amazon gift certificate from Christmas.


 I was astonished when I realized I had brought in piles of books, literally.  

That's not all.  Within two weeks of the challenge ending, I was back at the library.
                       
 I was so happy that I took out two lots of books over a week!!
                                                   

So while I proved that I could stop buying books for a while, I also proved that for a bookaholic, it's much harder than it looks.

I have been reading plenty during April also, so I will have reviews to come of books for Once Upon A Time, Women of Genre Challenge, Dystopian challenge, and a children's graphic novel series that my daughter is racing through.

Have you ever stopped buying books for a while, and what happened when you went back to buying them?

I can say now, all is right with the world, I can buy books again.

6 comments:

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

Well done with the 4 month challenge - I just couldn't have done that! So it's no wonder that you've now made up for it with lots of piles of books.

I think the longest time I stopped buying books is about 1 month. Of course there was a time which lasted for years when I bought very few books because I just couldn't afford to - I've made up for that since then! :)

Cath said...

I love seeing other people's book hauls! I bought steadily through the first few months of the year, but eased off last month. I'm trying to have a couple of months of less buying, but that doesn't preclude free or very cheap Kindle downloads or the library. *Or* asking for books for my birthday. LOL!!! I have to get a book fix somehow. I'm very sad apparently.

Of the ones you bought I've heard of some, read one or two such as one of the Anne Bishops, and own The Wave in the Mind. They all look fabulous to me. But then I'm a book junkie just like you!

chrisa511 said...

Hehehe….I expect nothing less my dear :p I would be the exact same way only I don't think there's any way I would've lasted as long as you!!!

JaneGS said...

How absolutely fun to binge after all that fasting! Such a wealth of good reading--you're stocking up for next year's tbr challenge.

Enjoy your haul!

Susan said...

Margaret: I was exactly the same many years ago, when I was a single parent with my first son. We couldn't afford many books then either. So I make it a point to buy a book with every pay cheque, now. Which is why it was fun to see how I did with this challenge, and if I could do it. I certainly missed buying them, I've discovered.

Cath: I love libraries! lol it was so hard to not order books through winter, and read my own, even though I had bought every book because I wanted to read it. It was very satisfying to read so many of my own, too. Though it seems I have added as many now as I read then! lol

I like that phrase, book junkie. Seriously, we are! All of us!

Chris: I think I am a little surprised that I did so well with the challenge.

I am so happy I can buy them again now! It's such a relief to be able to buy when I want. I did miss that feeling very much.

Jane: lol! absolutely right, getting reading for next year! I might try it again....or not. I think some time will have to pass between now and then :-)

I have had a good book haul, and it's exciting to have new books in the house again. I've read a surprising number of books brought in, since April 1.

Unknown said...

nike roshe, oakley, babyliss, gucci, valentino shoes, north face outlet, ghd, chi flat iron, insanity workout, lancel, baseball bats, new balance, nike air max, lululemon, nike huarache, hollister, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti, celine handbags, herve leger, hollister, ferragamo shoes, timberland boots, soccer shoes, birkin bag, north face outlet, reebok shoes, converse outlet, mcm handbags, iphone cases, soccer jerseys, nike trainers, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, nike air max, p90x workout, wedding dresses, ray ban, mont blanc, instyler, jimmy choo shoes, vans shoes, hollister, nfl jerseys, louboutin, ralph lauren, mac cosmetics, bottega veneta, longchamp, vans