Tuesday 1 May 2012

A Victorian Celebration challenge

                                                        


I can't resist this challenge.  It's so much in the range of what I want to read more of this year:  Victorian literature.  It's only for two months - June and July.  What could be simpler and easier?  It's hosted by Allie at A Literary Odyssey. The sign-up link is here.

So far, on my list of possibilities are:
- Mill on the Floss - George Eliot
- Silas Marner - George Eliot
- Barchester Towers - Anthony Trollope
- any Charles Dickens novel, since I've only read two so far
 - The Brontes by Juliet Barker
- The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell
 - North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
- Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell
 *OF course this list is not a final version, and subject to whim.

I've asked Allie at  A Literary Odyssey to see if  biographies about other people than writers is allowed. 

 There's no limit on how many you can read, ,just good Victorian literature to read while the hazy days of summer  arrive.   I can read just one! or all of them!  or a combination. **Hurray: Allie just responded to me :  books about Victorians, history, art,etc, are allowed.  Time to see if I can find a copy of Parallel Lives by Phyllis Rose, and fingers crossed that Claire Tomalin's  Charles Dickens: A Life biography will be in paperback in time- I think it's out in July. I'd also like to get Victorian House by Judith Flanders, about how the Victorian home developed.  Her other book, Consuming Passions, about the development of leisure in the Victorian Age, also sounds very interesting.





7 comments:

*ೃ༄ Jillian said...

Best wishes to you on your Victorian adventure! :)

JaneGS said...

That's quite a list! I loved Gaskell's bio of Charlotte Bronte, and you can't go wrong with any of Gaskell's novels, in my opinion.

I am currently reading Tomalin's Dickens bio and it is fabulous. I've just started, but I heartily recommend it.

Barchester Towers is also on my summer reading list.

Ana S. said...

I'm taking a break from challenges at the moment, but if not for that I'd certainly join this one! Happy reading, Susan - you have such excellent books on your list. I had Consuming Passions out of the library once but sadly had to return it unread. It did seem like a fascinating book, though.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh I can't wait to hear what you think about the Dickens biography. I've been looking for a good one for a while but haven't been able to get any solid recommendations. Enjoy the reading!! If I were still doing challenge (and Ha! reading) I'd love this one.

Susan said...

Jillian: thank you! I hope to have fun :-)

Jane: If I can get any of them read, it will be a success! lol I know you love Gaskell, and I've started the bio and North and South before but I'm having trouble settling into a book right now. I hope by June it will be better! I can hardly wait to hear what you have to say about Tomalin's book.

Nymeth: I keep looking at Consuming Passions in the bookstore, too! lol Have you read any of the novels I have on my list? I'm so happy that bios and nonfiction are allowed. I thought of you when I saw this challenge. I'm sorry you're not doing them right now, though I do understand.

Trish: I hope it's out in softcover in time! I'm really curious to read it, I loved her Jane Austen biography.

And don't worry, you will read once more when the baby gets older! I had trouble reading when mine were young children too.

DesLily said...

I read a dickens biography by Fred Kaplan (640 pgs) I doubted I'd read it all but I did! It was very interesting! (I read it because I got it at a used book store for 1.00 !) heh.. I hope the one you read is just as interesting!!

Susan said...

Pat: I remember your review, that's another book I am waiting to come out is softcover so I can lift it! lol