Wednesday 6 May 2009

instead of reading......

Ever since I saw Eva and Marg's posts, I spend part of every evening on You Tube, watching North and South again. On my computer, the You tube screen measures about 9" by 6". Somehow, in spite of this tiny size, Richard Armitage still manages to sizzle and brood and has this most amazing deep voice. He, well, more than gives Colin Firth a run for his money. Possibly the best hero of a Victorian/BBC costume drama, ever. I've cried, I've laughed, I've urged her to 'look back' along with Thornton........

What will it be like when I can see it on our tv? which is much larger than 9X6! and view it continuously, whole, without 10 minute breaks? When will I find a DVD copy? when will I find a copy of the book to read? these are the questions haunting me through the day. At least I am thinking about a book!

Thanks, Marg and Eva!!!!

And I heard something about him being in Robin Hood, too.....I also made a boo-boo in my last post, about the role he played on The Vicar of Dibley. He didn't play Tristan, he played the one the Vicar marries, and I apologize, we've only seen the episode twice, and we haven't been able to get the DVD yet of the wedding, so I can't remember his name. James?. All I remember is he plays an accountant (and his voice) . And what happens to Geraldine on her wedding day....oh yes.

Here he is, discussing how he got the role. An interview with him on the DVD. Not that I have the DVD yet, of course. He's read the book. *sigh*

Courtesy of You Tube:

8 comments:

Ana S. said...

I have never seen this, but I'm thinking I should!

Kailana said...

I have never seen this either!

Susan said...

Nymeth and Kailana: Oh, do! If you click on Eva's you tube video, it will take you to the site where the entire series is listed - Parts 1-4 - go for the BBC 2004 production, NOT the US one with Patrick Swayze from the 1980s. I watched the entire thing over two nights :-) inspite of the 10 minute video breaks, it is so good. :-D

Hazra said...

I totally fell for the Proposal scene when I visited Eva's blog, but it's taken me some time to actually start watching the series (curse slow Internet connection), but I've finally got atleast the first episode on my comp

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Susan, you can get the North & South DVD special-ordered to Blockbuster or whatever video store you go to. Or from Amazon. My cousin ordered it from Amazon, and my husband special-ordered it for me from Blockbuster (he works there.)

I lo-o-o-ove Richard Armitage. You MUST see him as Gisbourne in Robin Hood. The series is a bit slow to pick up steam at first, but by episode 7 you will never look back. You can watch some of that on You Tube, as well.

JaneGS said...

For your viewing pleasure, here is my favorite RA picture: http://janegs.blogspot.com/search/label/Robin%20Hood

I haven't decided whether to watch Season 3 of RH or not--I disliked so much the way Season 2 ended, that I'm boycotting it.

Eva said...

Thanks for posting the interview!!! Netflix subscribers can watch it instantly, and I just happen to be watching the last epi again right now. :D

Both the proposal and the ending grab me by the heart every time!

Alaine said...

I watched this for the first time last night on DVD. Now I know why everyone loves it, it was fanstastic!